Sun Wukong is a mythological figure who features in a body of legends, which can be traced back to the period of the Ming dynasty.
He appears as the main character in the 16th-century Chinese classical novel Journey to the West. Sun Wukong is also found in many later stories and adaptations. In the novel, he is a monkey born from a magical rock on top of Mount Huaguo. When his eyes moved, two beams of golden light shot towards the Jade palace and surprise the Jade Emperor. On the mountain, the monkey befriends various animals and joins a group of other monkeys. They decide to seek the stream's source and climb the mountain to a waterfall. They declare that whoever goes through the waterfall, finds the stream's source, and comes out again will become their king. In search of a weapon, he travels to the oceans and gets the Ruyi Jingu Ban which stabilizes the Four Seas and is the Treasure of the Eastern Dragon King. After rebelling against heaven and being imprisoned under Mount Five Fingers for 500 years by Buddha, he later accompanies the monk Tang Sanzang on a journey to retrieve Buddhist sutras from India. At the end of the journey, Wukong is granted the title of Victorious Fighting Buddha and ascends to Buddhahood.
- He is one of the immortal characters, the others being Zhu Bajie, Sha Wujing and so on.
- His weapon is the Ruyi Jingu Bang/Ding Hai Shen Zhen (golden cudgel) which weighs around 7360 kg
- He has Jin Jing Huo Yan(True sight), he can distinguish humans and demons.
- He has the Jin Gang Bu Huai Zhi Shen.
- Knows the 72 Earthly transformations.
- His hair has magical properties, which allows him to summon clones of himself, and/or into various weapons, animals, and other objects.